Monday, December 27, 2010

Weeknight Kitchen: White Chili

This week's recipe was for white chili.  Normally, my husband does not enjoy soup, so I was a little concerned about two soup recipes in a row, but he was feeling a little under the weather, so the soup really hit the spot with some grilled cheese sandwiches.

The soup was very easy to make, and I substituted the canned beans called for  in the recipe with dry.  I did some checking online and I've determined that for every 15oz can of beans, you can substitute 1/4 lb. dried beans.  This recipe called for four cans, so I used a pound of dried beans.  To me, I just don't see the point in using canned beans most of the time.  Dried beans are super easy to cook from scratch.  They require a little bit of planning, but they are so much cheaper.  I didn't have enough white beans, so I did use half white and half black.

 I would definitely make this recipe again, and I think it will freeze very well.  If you haven't signed up for the weekly newsletter yet, I recommend doing so.  I hear so many people saying that they never know what to cook.  Get this newsletter, and get some ideas.  The website has a ton a great recipes too.  www.splendidtable.org

Here are the final pictures from my old camera.  I'm going to play around with the new camera a little more this afternoon, and I should have a new post up tonight.  I plan on getting back to posting everyday again.

Beans soaking for chili

White chili ready to eat

Pumpkin chocolate chip loaves from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.  My father-in-law requested these, and we hid some, so everyone would have some to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment