Monday, December 6, 2010

4-cheese tortellini with mushrooms, kale, and goat cheese.

I had been thinking about supper all day at work.  I work on Monday nights, so it had to be quick because I would have about 2 hours between jobs, and I had other things to do besides just cook.  I thought about what I have in my refrigerator and pantry, and then it hit me: pasta.  I came up with this on the fly, so I'm being approximate on the amounts.  I will make it again and post something more clear.  For now I just have a few pictures and some vague instructions.  This came together in about 40 minutes from start to finish including cleaning all the kale and taking pictures.

The kale was the last produce from the garden.  I'm not sure if I'll have a garden next year, but I will definitely try to grow something in pots at the very least.

In holiday news, I have managed to almost completely kill my rosemary plant again this year.  Does anyone know any tricks/tips to keep them alive.  I've been very diligent about watering this year.  Maybe it just needs more sun than it can get indoors.

4-cheese tortellini with mushrooms, kale, and goat cheese


My supplies, I forgot the mushrooms


Ingredients (once again, I don't really have amounts yet):

  • 1 pkg four-cheese tortellini
  • 1/2 onion
  • olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • portabella mushroom cap, cleaned and cup in large chunks
  • 1 large grocery bag kale washed and chopped in bite-sized pieces
  • vegetable stock
  • balsamic vinegar
  • salt
  • pepper
  • goat cheese, 5oz
  • Parmesan cheese (I wish I had a block instead of the pre-grated stuff, but I was in a hurry)
Method:

1. In large pan put on water and salt to boil for pasta.
2. While water is boiling roughly chop onion.
3. Place 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in pan and cook onion for 4 minutes on medium high.
4. Chop garlic and add to onion, cook another 3 minutes
5. Add mushrooms.  Cook for 4 minutes.  It will look like this:

6. Add kale, you may have to do this in batches letting the kale cook down before adding more.  Cook until kale is tender, about 7 minutes.
7. Your water should be boiling now, so add your pasta to the water and cook according to directions.
7. Add balsamic vinegar.  I poured and counted to about 5.  Add vegetable stock, about 1/2 to 3/4 cup. I'll measure next time. Simmer together for 5 minutes.
8. Salt and pepper to taste.  I make my own vegetable stock, so I needed to add quite a bit of salt.  If you are using bullion cubes or pre-made stock you won't have to add very much salt.
9.  Add parmesan, about 1/2 cup.  Stir until the cheese melts.  Turn off heat.
10. When pasta is done drain, reserving pasta water and place pasta in a large bowl.
11. Crumble goat cheese over hot pasta and stir until melty.  I added 1 ladle of hot pasta water to help thicken and melt the goat cheese.  
12.  Pour kale, onion, and mushroom mixture and sauce over goat cheese and pasta.  Mix.
13.  Serve and enjoy!

This pasta was so good.  I've done something similar with beet greens, which is great too, but it does turn your pasta pink.  You could also use spinach, but it wouldn't need to cook as long.  You could leave the mushrooms out if you don't like them.  You could also substitute cream cheese for the goat, but you wouldn't get the same tangy taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment