Sunday, December 12, 2010

Pork loin and broiled grapefruit

I woke up this morning, and Jason asked for bagels, but I realized we were out of cream cheese.  It didn't really matter though because I wanted hard boiled eggs and broiled grapefruit. For those of you who have never broiled a grapefruit, you should really try it.  I cut the grapefruit in half, cut out the segments, so it's easy to eat with a spoon, sprinkle with a generous amount of brown sugar, and broil for 5 to 10 minutes or until the sugar begins to caramelize.  It was delicious.  I'm not sure why I wanted the eggs hard boiled, but it hit the spot.

 I also made a pork loin tonight.  Whenever pork loin goes on sale I buy two.  One gets cut into pork chops and frozen; I slice the other into 3 roasts.  It's very easy to make because there is very little prep time.
Here is the raw pork loin getting ready to go in the oven.

To my dutch oven I added about a 1/4 cup of sliced fennel leftover from Thursday night, 8 cloves of garlic (This seems like a lot, but I love garlic, and you really don't notice it), 1 Tablespoon peppercorns, 2 Tablespoons kosher salt sprinkled on the loin.  Then I added 1 cup veggie stock and about 2 cups water.  I added the lid and let this cook in a 300 degree oven for about 2 hours.

Finished loin, I forgot to take a picture of it sliced and on my plate.

I served the loin with mashed potatoes and gravy.  My mom came over to eat, so we had homemade turtles for dessert!

What I ate: Sunday

9:00 am: 2 hard boiled eggs, 1/2 broiled grapefruit

11:30 am: Carry-in at church.  My plate was piled high with: fried chicken, beef and noodles, cheesy potatoes, stuffed shells with marinara, sauerkraut with pork and potatoes (I brought this), ham, and a piece of ice cream pie

4:00 pm: 1 orange

7:00 pm: pork loin with mashed potatoes and gravy, 3 turtles

No comments:

Post a Comment