Sunday, December 5, 2010

New Feature: Weeknight Kitchen and weekend recap

I listen to The Splendid Table on NPR.  I also get their weekly newsletter "Weeknight Kitchen."  link here Each week I get a new recipe or two.  The recipes are supposed to be easy and quick.  I've decided that every week I will make the recipe I am sent and talk about it here.  I made one of the recipes for this week tonight and the other one yesterday.  They were both excellent, and I will be making them again.  Both the the recipes were extremely easy as well.  This was even more impressive because of the fact that I didn't make these recipes in my kitchen.  The kitchen I was cooking in is very poorly stocked.  In fact, the only knife is a big serrated one.  
The first recipe was "Spicy Black Bean Sandwiches with Chipolte Mayonnaise" (if you want the recipe, you will have to go to the Splendid Table website. These were very easy to put together and didn't require any actual cooking.  I think these sandwiches would be great for lunch.  I went really light on the spice because my husband doesn't like it, and they were still slightly spicy.  
Here is the sandwich filling (sorry about the shadows).

Here's all the food ready to be assembled into the pitas 
Important note: Do not rub your eyes after slicing up the chipolte peppers.  I did this twice, and it was not pleasant.  

The next recipe I made was the "French-Style Yogurt Cake with Lemon."  It was fantastic.  I will be making this again, and I'd really like to try using limes instead of lemons, or maybe grapefruit.  Unfortunately, the only picture I got was before putting the cake in the oven.  When I took it out of the pan the cake fell apart because it stuck to the pan.  It was very ugly, but still wonderful.
Cake ready to go into the oven.

This week both recipes were a success.  I encourage anyone reading this to sign up for the weekly newsletter; you won't be disappointed.

What I ate: Saturday

10:00 am: 4 slices bacon, 2 over-easy eggs, toast, espresso with almond milk and sugar.

4:00 pm: 1 slice leftover deep-dish pizza

7:00 pm: "Spicy Black Bean Sandwiches with Chipolte Mayonnaise," rice with cheese and broccoli, mixed veggies (corn, peas, carrots, green beans).

What I ate: Sunday

10:30 pm: scrambled eggs with cheese and bacon in pita pockets.  I had two, and I think I'm in love with pita bread right now.

5:00 pm: 3 beef tacos with lettuce, tomato, and guacamole, and Chipolte Mayonnaise.  1 slice lemon cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment