Thursday, December 30, 2010

D'arcy's Pint



My husband and I needed to drive to Springfield very early this morning so I could take the GRE.  We had to leave at 5:30 am to make my appointment on time, so I packed snacks for the drive.  I was too nervous on the way to the test to eat very much, so when I was finished at 10:00 I was starving.  We made a stop at Barnes and Noble then headed for D'arcy's Pint.

D'arcy's pint is great for comfort food like Shepard's pie, fish and chips, and corned beef and cabbage. They also serve some amazing *horseshoes and have a horseshoe of the day and week. D'arcy's also has quite a few beers on tap.  When you get there expect to wait.  They open at 11:00.  We arrived a few minutes before the doors open and there were already 20 cars in the parking lot.  As soon as the doors opened, everyone got out of his or her car and went inside, by 11:15 the restaurant was full, and there were at least 12 people waiting at the door.  The waitress told us that this is not uncommon, and there is sometimes a waiting list from 11:00 am to 9:00 pm.

* I know horseshoes are a regional dish, and I've heard you can only find them in Springfield, Illinois, but living an hour and a half away from Springfield, I can tell you they can be found in other areas.  A horseshoe, for those of you who don't know is traditionally two open faced hamburgers covered in french fries and cheese sauce.  A ponyshoe is one hamburger patty instead of two.  Many places that serve horseshoes offer ham, roast beef, chicken, hot dogs, and even fish instead of hamburger.  If you haven't had one I suggest you get to West Central Illinois and get one.

I had the special horseshoe of the day: The Wisconsin.  It had beer brats, sauteed peppers and onions, sauerkraut, cheese sauce, French fries, and melted cheddar cheese on top.  I wasn't going to have a horseshoe today, but as soon as the waitress said sauerkraut I was in.  I may never eat another horseshoe without sauerkraut again.


My horseshoe in all its glory.  I ate about 3/4th and got a box for the rest.

This was my husband's lunch.  He had the roast beef and cheddar sandwich (another lunch special).  The beef was amazingly tender and delicious.  I didn't have food envy, but I wish I could have eaten this too.

If you're in Springfield, Illinois do yourself a favor and check out D'arcy's Pint.

No comments:

Post a Comment