Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chicago Trip

I know, I know, once again it's been about a week since I've last posted.  I had an extremely stressful week and didn't really cook at all.  My meals consisted of leftovers, food from the freezer, school lunches, and quick dinners out.  For all of you keeping track at home, this means that I've been eating fat, sugar, and lots of other stuff that makes my body hate me.  It's not that I'm the healthiest person, but I do try to eat some fruits and vegetables each day, and my body is not happy with me when I don't.  I've already bought produce for salads this week, and I have some healthy meals planned, along with a cream puff experiment.   Now I need to tell you about my scheduled day of debauchery in Chicago:


 I started out my day with my most embarrassing food related guilty pleasure: a Monster Biscuit from Hardees.  It's so wrong, but so good at the same time.  I only get these once every other month or so.  
 Once we got to Chicago, we headed to Superdawgs.  
These were the best crinkle cut fries I have ever eaten.  My superdawg is under the pickle.  Oh, and see the thing that looks like a anemic lime in the upper left of the box, that is a pickled green tomato.  This is brilliant, and I must learn to make them.  If it wouldn't have terribly embarrassed my husband, I would've asked for a box of these to go. 
 This sign came out a little blurry, but I thought it was cute, and I couldn't figure out how to get a good picture of these two giant superdawgs on the top of the building.  

The inside of the Superdawg.  This alone was worth the drive to Chicago.

After making a few non-food related stops it was time for supper.  I have never had a Chicago deep-dish pizza, so we decided to go to Geno's East.
 Our view from the table, on the second floor.
 Drinking my Coke and waiting for the pizza.
The pizza: pepperoni, green pepper, onion, mushroom, and black olives.

The verdict: The toppings were very good, and the sauce was very chunky and tasted fresh.  I really didn't care for the cornmeal crust though. It wasn't bad, but I like a doughy crust.  I'm very glad I had the experience, but I probably wouldn't go there again.

I'll be back tomorrow with a Weeknight Kitchen post, and yes, I know I'm a few weeks behind.  

No comments:

Post a Comment