Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Weeknight Kitchen: Tamarind-Spice glazed roast of Brussels sprouts, onions and chickpeas, and Cauliflower with Ginger-Cashew-Onion Sauce

I know, I know I've been 2 weeks behind on posting Weeknight kitchen recipes from The Splendid Table.  It's not that I don't like Indian food, it's that I'm intimidated by it because I haven't ever really tried or cooked it. In the tiny Midwestern town I live in we don't see any Indian restaurants.  My parents are not very adventurous eaters, so I never ate any Indian food growing up.  These recipes scare me.  I finally decided to try two weeks worth of recipes today.  Here are the outcomes:

First up, Cauliflower with Ginger, Cashew Onion Sauce
 Onions in the pan and beginning to caramelize
 All the sauce ingredients except for vinegar, tomato paste, and water in pan.



 Finished dish with steamed cauliflower.  I just realized that I did forget the cashews and coconut.
Finished Tamarind-Spiced glazed roast of Brussels sprouts, onion, and chickpeas
 Before going onto the hot pan.

The answer is that I didn't really care for either.  I didn't like the cauliflower with cashew onion sauce at all.  I will be throwing the leftovers out in fact.  I thought the roast was okay, but I probably won't make it again.  I admit that this might be due to the fact that I didn't have coriander leaves and had to substitute dried coriander.  Honestly, when you live in a small town the only fresh herbs you can get in abundance are parsley and cilantro.  I will try Indian dishes again, but my fear remains.

Please note:  I am aware that India is a huge country and represent many different style of cooking.  I am not accustomed to any of them.

What I ate today:


9:00 am: everything bagel with cream cheese, black coffee leftover from yesterday

12:45 pm: weeknight kitchen recipes and rice, most of it was thrown out.

3:00 pm: peanut butter and jelly sandwich

5:00 pm: leftover pizza

No comments:

Post a Comment