Here's a secret that probably isn't too secret: I think about food all day. I get panicky in the morning if I don't know what I'm going to make for supper that night. I knew I wanted to make the creamy, delicious five cheese sauce, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it. I finally thought about the scallops in my freezer begging to be used and dreamed up this recipe. It would be good with salmon, white fish, or crab substituted for the scallops.
Scallop Stuffed Cannelloni with Five cheese sauce
- 1lb tiny scallops
- 2 garlic cloves, mined
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ½ tsp. dill weed
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Fresh bread crumbs made from 2 slices bread
- 1 8oz box cannelloni, cooked.
- One batch of sauce from the following recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/penne-with-five-cheeses-recipe/index.html
1. Lightly sauté scallops in a small amount of olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes or until scallops are cooked through, but not overdone.
2. Add scallops to large bowl.
3. Add garlic, celery, zest and juice of lemon, mayonnaise, dill, parsley, salt, mustard. Mix well.
4. Add bread crumbs until the mixture begins binding together.
5. Stuff scallop mixture in cooked cannelloni.
6. Place a thin layer of the sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Place filled cannelloni on top of sauce. Cover cannelloni with the rest of the sauce.
7. Bake at 500 uncovered for 12 minutes. Turn off oven and let pan sit in the oven for an additional 10 minutes.
8. Serve and enjoy. The sauce may look separated, but will come together when stirred a bit.
Fresh bread crumbs made in the food processor
Mixing the scallops in my owl apron
Balthasar monitoring the process and hoping for dropped scallops.
Balthasar and my husband grating the cheese for the sauce.
The finished product. Rich and satisfying on a cold night.
Balthasar watching me eat.
What I ate today:
9:00 am: coffee with cream, sugar; Hershey bar with almonds
12:00 pm: leftover goulash; grapefruit
7:00 pm: Scallop Stuffed Cannelloni with Five Cheese Sauce; chocolate sorbetto.