Monday, January 10, 2011

Overnight oats (in a jar)

If you've been reading my blog you've probably figured out that even though breakfast is my favorite meal of the day I rarely get up in time to make it on a work day.  I usually end up packing something quick to eat during my morning break.  Overnight oats are a great solution to my problem.  I had been seeing overnight oats on a quite a few blogs this summer and decided to give it a try.  They are very easy to make and extremely delicious.  I especially like to make them when I have an almost empty jar of peanut butter.  I'm not sure if this will work with steel cut oats, but I am going to try tonight and let you know how it went tomorrow.  When I cook oatmeal I need to add brown sugar, but something about letting the oats soak overnight makes them sweet, and I don't need to add anything.  This is a very healthy and filling breakfast.

Overnight Oats


1 cup oatmeal
1/2 and 1/3-1/2 cup milk (I use almond)
raisins or dried cranberries to taste (optional)

Mostly empty peanut butter jar waiting to fulfill its new purpose: oats.

Add oats to jar.

Top oats with raisins or cranberries if using

Top with milk.  I use the lower end of the measurements listed because I like my oatmeal thick.  If you want it a more "cereal and milk" consistency then add more.

Add lid tightly, shake.  Place jar in fridge overnight.  Enjoy in the morning right out of the jar; scraping peanut butter off the sides.  (This can also be mad in any container with a lid or cover).

What I ate today:

10:00 am: coffee with sugar and creamer.  Oats in a jar.  I was dismayed when I woke up this morning and realized I didn't have time to make coffee.  I received some new coffee last week that is delicious and maybe worth getting up early for.  I'll do a post about it soon.

12:00 pm:  Huge taco salad with leftovers from last night.  It contained romaine lettuce, carrots, tomato, black olives, orange bell pepper, guacamole, sour cream, lots of hot sauce, taco meat, black beans.  I almost couldn't eat all this...almost.

5:00 pm: 2 slices leftover gourmet veggie pizza.  I'm back to working Monday and Tuesday nights, so expect to see a lot of leftovers on these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment