Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Spiked hot cocoa because what else are you going to do on a snow day?


In case you didn't know, the Midwest is in the middle of a snowpacalypse. I love winter and happen to be in the teaching profession which means I get snow days!  As long as the power stays on and no one gets hurt I say: Let it snow!

 I've been snuggling in the recliner with my over-sized dog for the last few days watching the snow, reading, and staying in pajamas when suddenly today I got a craving for hot cocoa.  I've never liked the pre-packed cocoa mixes, and I figured making my own wouldn't be too difficult.  Turns out I was right.  I will be making this again, and I think it would keep well in a crock pot during parties.

Snow Day Spiked Hot Cocoa


1/4 cup cocoa powder
6 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups water
2oz coffee liqueur (in the bottom of each cup before serving the hot cocoa)

1. In a pan whisk together the cocoa powder and sugar.

2. Whisk constantly while slowly pouring in heavy cream and water over the cocoa powder and sugar mixture.  This is to prevent clumping.

3.  Heat on medium low heat while whisking constantly at first and then occasionally as everything looks blended.

4. Heat until bubbles form on the edges of the pan.  Be careful not to scorch cream.

5.  Pour in coffee mugs over the coffee liqueur.  Enjoy!

Of course, this recipe could stand a lot of substitutions.  I need to use what I have on hand because I am not driving the 15 miles to the nearest grocery store.  Any kind of dairy, soy, almond, or coconut milk could be substituted for the heavy cream, but omit the water.  Obviously, the alcohol could also be left out.  Irish cream or vanilla vodka would make a nice replacement for the coffee liqueur.

No comments:

Post a Comment