Friday, February 11, 2011

Cream puffs

There was a carry-in at work today, and I wanted to take something easy, but that was a crowd pleaser, so I immediately thought: Cream Puffs.  What?  Cream puffs are easy?  Yes, they are.  The actual shell only includes 4 ingredients and can be made in advance.  They taste delicious, and they are very impressive to those who have never made them.  I use the Better Crocker cookbook for the shell, and then I fill them with fresh cream whipped with a little powdered sugar.  I've also filled these with pudding, ganache, and chicken salad (not all at the same time though).

These are something I've been making since Jr. High, so I've learned a few tricks.  First, no matter what, do not open the oven door during cooking or the puffs will fall.  For really firm puffs, shut the oven off a little before the cooking time is finished, and leave the cream puffs in until they are completely cool.  I left mine in the oven overnight and filled them in the morning before work.  This kept the puffs from getting soggy.  Unfortunately, I forgot to take any pictures of my first batch.  The two pictured below are left over, but you get the idea.



No comments:

Post a Comment