1 large onion, chopped
1 large bell pepper, any color, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 dried hot peppers (I used Anaheim and Serrano)
1 cup water, boiled
1 tsp. dried coriander
1 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. salt
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup tomato puree
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup veggie or chicken broth
3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
tortillas, flour or corn
2 cups shredded cheese (I used cheddar and fontina, but Monterey Jack would be great)
1. Pull the stems off the dried peppers and take out the seeds. It's okay if a few seeds are left in. Tear peppers into small pieces and place in a bowl.
2. Place boiling water over peppers and let soak for 10 minutes.
3. Heat oil in skillet while dried peppers are soaking. Add onion and bell pepper to pan and cook until the peppers are tender and the onion is translucent.
4. Add cooked chicken to onion/pepper mixture. Cook for a few minutes to heat chicken and blend the pepper and onion flavors.
5. After the dried peppers have soaked, remove from liquid and place peppers in blender. Add cumin, coriander, salt, garlic, tomato puree, and tomato paste. Blend to make a sauce. Add the sauce to the pan with pepper, onions, and chicken. Stir and add broth. The mixture should be like a very thick stew. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes to blend flavors.
6. Add about 1/2 cup of mixture to tortillas and add around 1/8 cup shredded cheese or to your liking. Roll tortillas and place seam side down in baking dish. Top rolled tortillas with any leftover mixture and cheese.
7. bake at 350 for 20 minutes.