Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Weeknight Kitchen: Stir fried cabbage, chicken, and bean threads.

I know I'm behind on my Weeknight Kitchen posts.  I have not abandoned them, but I've just had a hectic few weeks.  I'm also looking for some substitutions for one of the recipes.  The grocery stores here do not carry a wide selection of bitter greens, so I'm researching, and I will present my findings soon.  I was able to make last week's recipe for Stir fried cabbage, chicken, and bean threads.  You can subscribe to this weekly recipe service by going here.

This recipe was extremely easy.  I was able to make it in my husband's kitchen.  My husband and I live apart during the week, and he doesn't cook much, so his kitchen equipment in minimal.  To give an example, his knife collection consists of steak knives and a serrated bread knife.  We eat out a lot when I come over.

 Showing off my husband's steak knife and cutting board (I use the term cutting board very loosely here)
 Minced garlic and ginger.  I did okay.
Everything cooking.  You see carrots here because we bought a pre-shredded coleslaw mix.  I wasn't about to break down a head of cabbage with a break knife.

The finished product tossed with cilantro and served over white rice.

The Verdict:

This was...okay.  That's it, just okay.  I wasn't horrible, but it was too bland for my tastes.  I added more soy sauce and if I would've been at home, I would have added hot sauce as well.  It is a great way to use up leftovers, but I wouldn't go out of my way to make it.  My husband enjoyed this more than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment