Monday, February 28, 2011

Funeral Food

I really debated about whether or not I should do this post.  I mean, does anyone want to read about funerals on a food blog?  In the end, I decided that this was something important I wanted to pass along.  I had a funeral to attend this weekend, and I brought food with me this weekend.  I'm really glad I did.  Food is comforting, and in times of need it is a nice way to show you care.  Plus, family and friends usually pop in out of town, so it is nice for the bereaved to not worry about what they will feed all the people suddenly in their house.  Below are my tips on what to bring when someone has had a loss.
  1. Bring something, even if you don't cook.  If you cook great, but if this is not your strong suit then go to the grocery store and pick up a veggie/fruit tray, or see the tip below.  Now is the time for your most comforting recipes.  Bring what you love.  Bring cookies, brownies, casseroles, veggies, fruit, chips and dip, bring something.
  2. If you don't cook, consider bringing paper plates, cups, utensils, etc.  When my grandfather passed, someone showed up with paper plates and cups.  This wasn't traditional, but it was very welcome.  No one wants to do dishes when they are in mourning.  I think someone also brought toilet paper, which was also a great idea.  It's easy to run out of essentials when your house is crowed.  Beverages are also a great idea.
  3. Add freezing instructions.  Sometimes people are overwhelmed with the amount of food they are given, and they cannot possibly eat it all.  If your food can be frozen then print up some freezing and reheating instructions with the food.
  4. Consider bringing individual portions to freeze for later.  This is especially helpful for those who will be living alone, maybe for the first time.  My grandmother hated to cook for herself, so it was nice knowing that she had homemade freezer meals waiting for her.
  5. Bring food in a pan you don't need returned.  This should be a no-brainer for me, but I find that I have to take special care to remember this.  When someone is grieving and possibly receiving many dishes, they should not have to keep track of what plate belongs to whom. 
I hope this post has been helpful.  To those of you who have lost those you love, my thoughts are with you, and I hope you are eating well.

No comments:

Post a Comment