Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Weeknight Kitchen: Gingered Cornmeal Shortbread

When I saw this recipe in my inbox I knew I just had to make it.  Look at the title: Gingered Cornmeal Shortbread.  These are three foods that I love dearly.  The second thing about the recipe that caught my eye was the fact that you cream the butter and sugar for at least 10 minutes.  It gets super white and creamy at this point, and I seriously considered just eating it out of the bowl with a spoon.  If you don't like ginger don't worry because the flavor is subtle, but adds a nice flavor.  The cornmeal adds a pleasant crunch, and the butter and sugar, well I mentioned that before.  These bake up easily and are a lightly sweet dessert that would be perfect with a cup of tea or coffee.  My husband isn't crazy about them because he likes overly sweet desserts, but these could be dipped in a chocolate ganche if you'd like.  I think they are perfect just as they are.

The super white butter and sugar.  Really, this should be a dessert on its own.
Another shot outside.  I was so impressed by how white this turn out.  Did I mention I wanted to eat this straight out of the bowl?
The shortbread rolled, scored, and ready for the oven.  Note: score after putting on the baking sheet.  I messed this up, and the shortbread was difficult to move.
The perfect accompaniment for tea. 
My tea cabinet.  I mentioned it in an earlier post, and I am super excited by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment