Friday, June 24, 2011

Hearty Hooters at The Burger King in Mattoon

That's right, I said hearty Hooters.  What, you may ask, is a Hooter?  A Hooter is a quarter pound cheeseburger at The Burger King in Mattoon, Il.  The Burger King has been around for 59 years.  They existed before the chain, and a federal lawsuit actually resulted.  I've been wanting to check out this place for awhile.  When you first walk in the door, you get a small town, burger place feel.  One counter is used for ordering burgers, hot dogs, fries, onion rings, and soda, while the other side is an ice cream parlor.  The first thing I noticed on the menu was a Hooter.  I've done a little research, and the people who started the restaurant had a last name of Hoots, hence the burger name.  The Hooter was a good burger.  It was large in diameter, and served with a generous amount of toppings.  The bun was very pillowy, and covered in a perfect amount of sesame seeds.     Another thing I enjoyed about The Burger King was the soda serving size.  My husband got a 32 oz. SuperCoke.  I ordered a small, which was about 10 ounces.  This was exciting for me because so many times a small soda is huge, and much more than I could drink, so I actually enjoyed the range of sizes available.  

While waiting for our burgers, I noticed a diversity in the customers.  A few groups were in their late 50's to early 70's.  These people would come in and get ice cream and chat with each other.  It seemed like everyone knew everyone else.  These people have probably been coming here for a long time.  I also noticed several groups of young couples in their early twenties probably starting off their weekend dates.  Then groups of young teenagers came in.  It seemed like everyone felt at home at The Burger King.  If you're in Mattoon stop in, and you'll feel at home too.

The sign.  I wish the sky didn't look so ominous.  
 My Hooter
 The first bite
 My husband's ice cream.  They put eyes on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment