Sunday, February 12, 2012

Mexican Rice Bowls

In a previous post I discussed how my husband, Jason, loves Mexican food, so we always have Mexican Mondays here.  I get tired of tacos every week, so I try to mix it up.  I decided a rice bowl would be a nice change of pace.  I don't really have a recipe, but you can use the method and change it up with different spices, veggies, and proteins.  This could easily be made vegetarian or vegan.  This also reheats nicely, so it would be a great lunch to take to work.

Here's what I did:  I cooked a couple of chicken breasts and then sliced them after letting them rest.  I set these aside.  While the chicken was cooking I put some rice, chicken broth (for white rice you need a 2 to 1 ratio of liquid to rice.  I used 1 cup rice and 2 cups broth), taco seasoning, onions, and bell peppers in a pan, brought this to a boil and then simmered with a lid on for about 15 minutes (until the rice was tender).  After the rice was cooked I added the cooked chicken, about 1/2 of cup of salsa, chopped green olives, and cilantro.  I gave this a stir and then served it in bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment