Monday, February 27, 2012

Cheese Straws

I've mentioned before that my husband does not like soup.  I still make it thought, but I try to make something special to go along with it, as to enhance his (bribe him) soup eating experience.  I have heard about cheese straws as a Southern party appetizer for a long time, but I have never had them or made them.  I thought they would be a nice side for the soup I made, which I will post tomorrow.  For those of you who don't know, cheese straws are basically a cheese bread stick.  They are made by rolling out puff pastry, sprinkling with copious amounts of parmesan cheese, rolling some more, cutting into thin strips (I used a pizza cutter) and then baking in the oven.  They were amazing.  This was my first time working with puff pastry, and it was very easy.  Eventually, I'll attempt making the pastry from scratch, but for now I'll stick with the frozen pastry.  One box of puff pastry made a lot of straws, so I put some in a freezer bag before baking.  Now, next time I make soup I can just defrost and bake them.

No comments:

Post a Comment