Saturday, February 11, 2012

Layered Cabbage Unrolls

I love cabbage rolls.  To me they are very comforting, but I don't make them very often because rolling the cabbage is difficult for me.  The cabbage always breaks apart, and I never seem to have big enough leaves, and the stuffing falls out everywhere, and well, it's just a big mess.  I had some leftover cabbage a few weeks ago, and I decided I would make cabbage rolls.  Halfway through trying to carefully peel perfect cabbage cups from the head of cabbage I was working with, it hit me that I didn't need to be doing this.  Instead of rolling the stuffing in the cabbage, I alternated layers of cooked cabbage and filling in a casserole dish like a lasagna.  This worked perfectly, and I will never roll cabbage again.  

I don't really have a recipe for this, but the filling is about a pound of ground beef, or turkey, a cup of cooked rice (couscous would work too), salt and pepper to taste, a tablespoon of Worchestershire sauce, and an egg.  Mix the filling and layer with the cabbage leaves.  Top with tomato sauce, and bake at 350 F. for 1/2 an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment