Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Herb Roasted Chicken

This is a super easy chicken method, and you can vary the spices.  I think it's even better the next day right out of the refrigerator because the spices have a chance to really get into the chicken.  I don't have a roasting pan, so I take a wire cooling rack and set it on a cookie sheet instead.  This was my first time breaking down a whole chicken, but it was actually pretty easy.  You will have leftover chicken backs, but you can (and should) save them for broth.  This is why I prefer to buy bone-in chicken breasts.  They are cheaper than the boneless, skinless kind, and I can keep the bones for soup. I keep a gallon zip-lock bag in my freezer and I put chicken pieces in it.  When it gets full, I put all the parts in the crock pot with some garlic, cover it with water, and let the crock pot run all day.  Then I strain the broth and freeze it for soup.  Seriously, don't buy broth!  I do the same thing with vegetable scraps.

Herb Roast Chicken

1 whole chicken cut into legs, wings, breast, and thighs.  
1 tablespoon mixed dried herbs (I used parsley, basil, rosemary and oregano)
salt and pepper
olive oil

Rub olive oil on chicken and then rub on herbs, salt and pepper.  Let sit in the refrigerator for 1/2 an hour.  Place chicken in roasting pan, or on wire rack on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 F. for about 25 minutes.  You can check to see if it's done by putting a thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh.  It should read 165 F.  You can also pierce the thigh and see if the juices run clear.
I served the chicken with steamed green beans and an Asian pasta salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment