Monday, May 16, 2011

Sweet Potatoes with Blue Cheese and Caramelized Onions

When looking through my refrigerator the other day and wondering what I could throw together, I looked at the very sad sweet potatoes.  Why were they sad?  Because I had bought them about a month ago, and if I didn't use them soon I knew they would be lost, so I through them whole into a pot of water and boiled them until they were tender.  Meanwhile, I chopped up an onion and let it caramelize for about 15 minutes until it was soft, sweet, and brown. Adding a little salt helps the caramalization process because it draws the moisture out of the onion and helps it brown.   I through a few tablespoons of vodka into the pan with the onions to deglaze it and get all the lovely burnt bits from the bottom.  If you don't have vodka you should get some, but I guess you could also use white wine, chicken stock, vegetable stock, or water.  I peeled and cut up the cooked sweet potatoes and added them to the onions.  This was cooked for a few minutes to let the potatoes crisp a bit.  Finally, I through in 1/2 a cup of blue cheese and let it melt over the mixture.  This was delicious.  I've been thinking about it for days, and if I wasn't trying to use up as many pantry items as possible because of an upcoming move, I would have bought more sweet potatoes and have eaten this every day since.  




No comments:

Post a Comment