Saturday, May 7, 2011

Banana Bread: Problems Solved

I read a lot of vegan cookbooks and blogs.  This reading has lead me to the discovery that banana can be used as an egg replacer.  When I was looking for a banana bread recipe to use up the three sad looking bananas in my refrigerator I refused to use a recipe that contains eggs because they aren't needed.  I looked through my vegan cookbook stash and turned to The Alternative Vegan.  It contained a banana bread recipe that of course contained no eggs, but also no fat other than peanut butter.  I was intrigued.  The recipe also suggested not baking the bread in a loaf pan because the middle might not get cooked through.  Brilliant!  I've had so many loaves of zucchini bread that were not all the way cooked through because they were loaves.  I mixed up all the ingredients for the bread and popped it in a greased pie plate.  I was a little concerned about the bread because it came out of the oven very dark, and I thought it had burned.  However, when I tasted a piece I realized it was fine.  This was a great banana bread, and I wrapped it up as a Mother's Day gift for my mother-in-law.  I will, from now on, bake bread like this in pie pans rather than loaf pans, and I will not use egg in recipes that call for bananas.

No comments:

Post a Comment