Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Quick and Easy Red Pepper Goat Cheese Pasta

It always amazes me when people tell me they simply don't have time to cook.  I look around at many of my co-workers lunches; many are leftovers from the night before or home-cooked meals, but just as many are pre-packaged, frozen meals.  I know that many of my students get these same meals or take-out simply because the parents are "too busy" to cook.  

I guess because food is such a priority in my life I make the time to cook, but it's not really that much time.  The pasta below took about 3 minutes of active time, and the rest was letting the pasta water come to a boil, and then waiting for the pasta to cook.  Now, I did plan ahead and already had the red peppers cooked, but even if you had to chop and cook the peppers, you could do this while waiting for the water to boil.  

Make cooking a priority!  It's better and cheaper for you and your family!  I can't imagine how much my grocery bill would be if I had to rely on a lot of processed foods.  I would really have to change the way I eat.  The quality would be not as good and the meals would not be as exciting.  If you have about 20 minutes then make this pasta.

Red Pepper Goat Cheese Pasta

8 oz cheese ravioli or tortellini
4 oz soft goat cheese
1/2 cup chopped, cooked red pepper (could substitute roasted)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon capers (optional)
2 Teaspoons lemon juice (optional)

1. Start salted pot of water for pasta.  Meanwhile, cook peppers (saute in olive oil until soft, but still retaining a little crunch).  

2. Place cooked peppers and goat cheese in large bowl.

3. Cook pasta according to package direction.  Drain, saving 1/2 cup of pasta water.

4. Add pasta to bowl with goat cheese and peppers.  Stir to melt goat cheese adding pasta water 1/8 at a time until a "sauce" forms from the melted cheese and water.

5. Top with Parmesan, capers, and lemon juice.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment