Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Menu Planning and Popcorn

I read a lot of food blogs.  I've noticed that a commonality among many of these blogs is the fact that the writers make weekly (or monthly) menu plans.  At first I thought this was something only practical for families with multiple children, but I noticed that bloggers without children were using menu plans too.  A few weeks ago I decided to do this myself.  I made a table in a word processing program and made a list of three meals for each day based off what was on sale that week and what I already had in the house.  It was so organized, and I loved it!  Very little food went to waste (no surprise soggy produce in the back of the fridge), and I knew what I could make ahead, saving a lot of time in the kitchen.  Last week I didn't do a menu plan because I was out of town for a few days and unsure of plans because of Easter.  I have regretted not creating a plan.  It was unorganized, and I've spent more time and had less complete meals this week because of it.  

The moral of the story is to plan!  So, I'm making a menu plan tonight for the week.  I think this will be a great habit to get into before I move in a few months because money could be tight, and I don't want to waste any food.  Plus, time will be short, and the pre-planning makes going out to dinner much less enticing.  If you want to see my weekly plan posted on the blog just send me a comment letting me know.

On a completely different note, I've been eating a lot of popcorn lately.  I tend to do that.  I won't have a food for months, and then I'll eat it every night for weeks.  I don't have a microwave, so I pop my own on the stove.  I was really intimidated by this for a long time, but it's very easy.  I put a little oil in a pan, a few tablespoons of popcorn, then I cover a pop over medium heat.  Then I add some butter, garlic salt, and red pepper flakes.  


No comments:

Post a Comment