Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day one: Kale and food anxiety


Today was day one of the 21 day vegan kickstart.  I'm doing this program Monday through Thursday.  

I woke up this morning a little concerned about breakfast.  I have been wrapping a piece of bread around a piece of cheese and eating it as I headed out the door.  This worked really well for me, but I would not be able to have my cheese this morning.  Apple cinnamon oatmeal was on the agenda for today, but I forgot to buy the apple juice concentrate, so I had cereal instead.  I was happy with the cereal, but hungry by lunch and fantasizing about skipping the program and eating school lunch.  That's how strange my mindset was.  I wanted school lunch!  

I was concerned about lunch, but I was pleasantly surprised.  The Couscous Confetti Salad was very filling and great.  Everyone looked at it with food envy, and I was asked to bring this to the next carry-in.  I will make this again.  I also had the Carrot and Red Pepper soup.  This wasn't terrible, but I was soups with something in them to chew.  I have it for lunch tomorrow, and I think I'll just sip it out of a coffee mug.  I may feel better about it that way.

When I came home, I was dying for a snack.  I had 2 pieces of sourdough toast with peanut butter and apricot jam.  They were delicious and held me over for supper.  Supper was Kwick Kale and Hoppin John Salad.  The salad was okay, a little lemony and bland.  I won't make this again with the suggested dressing.  The Kwick Kale was great.  I ate 2 bowls full (the entire recipe).  I've always loved cooked greens, but I've always slow-cooked them with some kind of pork.  It's nice to have a quick meat-free option.  

Overall, it's been a decent start.  I have had a lot of food anxiety, which really shows me the extent of my addiction to food.  I really am always thinking about food.  I even have dreams about food.  Tune in tomorrow to see if there is anymore anxiety.


Above is my supper, perched on my lap.  Notice the stylish ducky pajama pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment