Monday, March 21, 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup

I spent the day home sick sitting in my recliner, reading, and watching episodes on Buffy and Angel.  If I wasn't sick it would be the perfect day.  I know the old saying "feed a fever, starve a cold," and I have been running a low grade fever, but my appetite has been on the side of ridiculous today.  I have a massive sweet tooth that is normally non-existent, and I just keep eating.  The strange thing about all my eating today is that my throat is terribly sore, but it doesn't seem to hurt when I'm eating.  Today I've had leftover corned beef, cabbage, parsley buttered potatoes, fruit leather, a brownie, toast with cinnamon and sugar, crackers and cheese, and finally, chicken noodle soup. 

Luckily, I had meant to make Chicken Noodle Soup even before I got sick.  I had leftover chicken and broth from the chicken tacos on Saturday night.  This soup comes together very quickly and easily (even if you're sick).

I like a lot of vegetable in my soup, so I chopped and cooked 1/2 an onion, 4 celery stalks, and 6 carrots.   

 After all the veggies started to get tender I added the chicken broth and chopped chicken.  I let this all cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes, then I brought the entire pot to a boil and added the noodles.  I let it cook for 18 minutes more then added salt and parsley.  I had to add a lot of salt because I made my broth from scratch.  If you are using commercially prepared broth, you can probably cut back on the salt.
 Now my fridge is packed full of boxes of soup.  Hopefully, I can enjoy them soon when I'm not sick

No comments:

Post a Comment