Sunday, November 28, 2010

What I'm eating: Weekend recap

Before my weekend recap a recipe.  These are great on salads, on top of desserts, or just eating out of the bowl!

Maple glazed nuts


2 cups unsalted nuts of your choice (I used pecans and peanuts)
4 teaspoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons pure maple syrup

1. In a heavy bottomed pan cook nuts for a few minutes.  They will start to smell "nutty," and will begin to brown.  Let them get brown, but be careful not to burn them.  Stir constantly.

2. Add oil and salt and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring constantly.

3. Add maple syrup (this will sizzle).  Stir for 3 minutes or until the syrup starts to get a little sticky.

4. Remove nuts and place on either a large plate or baking pan lined with waxed paper or a sil pad.  Place nuts in the refrigerator and let cool for an hour.

5. Break apart and enjoy!

The Weekend

The weekend has been a little hectic with the holidays, so I didn't get a chance to post each day as I have been.  I'll talk about both Friday and Saturday in this post, and then post for Sunday later tonight.  I have been eating with my parents all weekend, and this has affected the way I eat greatly.  They eat a lot more meat and less grains and vegetables than I do at my house.  I can really tell that my body is suffering.  I feel sluggish and tired.  I need to be very conscientious this week about what I'm eating, so I can feel more alert.  I have a lot to do in the next few weeks: finishing the semester with both my high school and college students, studying for the GRE, and baking for Christmas.  I'll need my energy, so I'm really going to try to pay attention to what I eat.  My husband looked at my blog and commented that people are going to think I was a liar in my first post.  I knew that if I made statements about how I thought I ate they would quickly be proven wrong, but I went ahead and did it anything.  This has been informative so far, and I think using all the information will help me put better food in my body.

What I ate, Friday:

9:30 am: Breakfast burritos and coffee.  I didn't have potatoes, so I used kidney beans.  We also had eggs scrambled with onions and peppers.  The burritos were topped with cheese, salsa, and Tabasco.

2:30pm: After Christmas shopping we stopped at Qdoba for lunch.  Yikes, fast food 3 days in a row, but really I love Qdoba.  I have the craft two with a chicken quesadilla and naked veggie burrito.

7:00 pm: Leftovers from Thanksgiving.  I really overdid it tonight.  I ate turkey, potatoes, gravy, and dessert.  I was so stuffed I could barely move when we left my parent's house at 10:00.  It all just tasted so good, and I just kept eating and eating.  Bleh.

What I ate, Saturday:


10:00 am: Biscuits and sausage gravy (I'll post my recipe sometime) with 2 over easy eggs and coffee.  Once again, this meal with with my parents.

4:00 pm: snack/lunch of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich

7:00 pm: supper with parents again.  Hamburger with mustard and pickles, salad with apples and maple pecans and peanuts, baked beans and potato chips.  I really wanted a second hamburger, but I remembered last night, so I stopped myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment