Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Breakfast: a Love Story

My Breakfast Burrito Narrative:

This is less of a recipe and more of a method/narrative about my morning. Let me preface this by saying that I am not a morning person at all.  I love sleeping in more than almost anything.  My husband and mother know not to talk to me in the mornings until I talk to them.  After that I am a pleasant, easy going person, but woe to whoever asks me a "stupid" question before they have been spoken to.

Last night I started thinking about breakfast burritos, and I wondered if I had anything to make one for the morning.  I knew I had eggs, potatoes, tortillas, and cheese, so I thought I had the bare minimum at least.

When I came home I got out three tiny russet potatoes and cut them into a medium sized dice.  The potatoes were then steamed for 10 minutes.  While the potatoes steamed, I searched for something to top my burritos.  I really wanted guacamole, but I had no avocados.  I didn't even have cilantro or prepared salsa.  I opened my cupboard and found a can of fire roasted chopped tomatoes and a can of green chilies.  I mixed both cans together with about 1/4th cup of minced onion, salt and pepper.

Next I shredded some Monterey Jack cheese and put it in the refrigerator.  By this time the potatoes were finished, so I boxed them up and put them next to the cheese.

The next morning I put my cast iron pan on the stove to heat and started coffee.  Then I added canola oil, potatoes and a generous amount of salt and pepper.  I wanted the potatoes crispy, and I knew this would take some time, so I went about laying out clothes for the day, taking the dog outside, and packing lunch.

After the potatoes were brown, I took them out of the skillet and put the tortillas in to soften.  Next, I added an egg to another hot pan to scramble.  I put my soft tortilla on the plate with a few spoonfuls of potatoes.  I packed the rest of the potatoes for lunch.   I added my scrambled eggs and sprinkled on the cheese.  Then, I topped everything with my homemade salsa, wrapped, and ate.

It shouldn't come as a huge revelation to me that breakfast is good for me and would affect my mood.  In fact, breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.  I have a strong emotional connection with breakfast because my dad takes me out often, and it's a special bonding time for us.  Despite these ties, I never get up early enough on weekdays to make anything.  I just end up eating an apple (or a sleeve of saltines) during my break.  My breakfast burrito gave me a happy start to the day.  I lost some sleep, but I was able to get most of the prep work finished the night before.  I could also do things like lay out clothes while the potatoes browned and not feel rushed as I do most mornings.  I didn't have to drink the dreaded black coffee from the break room because I was up in time to make my own.  The fact is that this is something I should and will try to do everyday.

My food log


6:45 am: Breakfast burrito (Oh how I love thee!)

8:00am: 12 oz coffee with almond milk and sugar

12:15pm: 2 slices Reuben pizza, 1/2 cup leftover breakfast potatoes, 1 large Granny Smith apple, and 1 piece pepperoni pizza that was brought into the break room at the end of lunch.  Wow! my lunch seems huge.

4:00pm: Reuben scramble- 2 eggs scrambled with corned beef, sauerkraut, caraway seeds, and shredded Monterey Jack cheese.  (is it possible to have a Reuben addiction?).  1 piece Italian bread with margarine, cinnamon, and sugar.

8:00pm: Hershey bar with Almonds

I almost didn't eat the Hershey bar because I knew I would have to record it, but I want this to be an accurate reflection of what I'm eating right now.  I will worry about fixing things after I collect data.

No comments:

Post a Comment