Monday, November 22, 2010

Bagel disappointment and a Reuben Pizza Recipe

The following pizza is fantastic if you like Reubens.  Sauerkraut has never been a strange pizza topping in my family, but I can tell by the looks I get when I bring this to work that it's not a "normal" topping.  Still, I encourage everyone to try it.  It's delicious!

Reuben Pizza


1 pizza crust
1000 Island Dressing
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
6oz sauerkraut drained and squeezed of juice
4 oz thinly sliced corned beef
1 Tablespoon caraway seeds

1. Spread prepared crust with 1000 Island dressing to taste.  I went pretty thin on this, but I wished I had used more when I was making it.  This is used in place of sauce, so whatever you think looks right is fine.  If you use too little sauce you could always serve extra on the side for dipping.

2. Top with mozzarella cheese to taste.  I went pretty light on the cheese because I wanted the other ingredients to be the star.

3. Add sauerkraut in an even layer on pizza.

4. Top with corned beef.

5. Sprinkle caraway seeds on top.  The seeds are to give the taste of Rye bread that a Reuben is traditionally served on, but if you don't care for the taste you could leave them out.

6. Bake according to crust directions.  I made my crust and baked the pizza for 14 minutes at 450 F.

Enjoy!  I apologize for the picture.  My camera isn't working right now, so I'm using my phone.


Below  is my food journal

I knew I would be keeping track of what I ate today.  I know I normally have food on the brain, I have vivid food dreams often, but I didn't know how much more thoughts of food could consume me.  I woke up late this morning, so I didn't have time for breakfast.  I did pack a snack the night before, so I knew I could eat that. I also knew there would be a representative at work today who usually brings bagels. I went into the break room expecting starchy, carby goodness, but alas, no bagels were to be found.  I ate my snack and felt hungry.  I ate my lunch and still felt hungry.  This hunger had to be all in my head. I know what I ate was adequate, but I have become obsessed.  Below is what I have eaten today:

8:00 am 12oz black coffee. I actually really despise black coffee, but the break room at work boasts 6 kinds of sugar substitutes and no real sugar.  Black coffee tastes better than fake sugar, but not much.

9:45 am 12oz black coffee and a huge Granny Smith Apple.  I am so hungry at this point that the sleeves of crackers are tempting, but I remind myself how horrible I felt the last time and persevere.  Note: Wake up in time to get breakfast!

12:00 pm Leftover meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy, peas, and a small Winesap apple.  Despite the comfort food leftovers from my parents I am left unsatisfied and wanting more.

4:30pm  Salad with apricot dressing (recipe can be found at http://burlesquebaking.blogspot.com/) and 2 slices Reuben pizza (recipe above).

I have a second job on Monday and Tuesday, so lunch and dinner needs to be leftovers or super quick.  I will probably eat when I get home as this food obsessed day just won't quit.  I'll update if I do.

*Update:  As I was prepping burritos for breakfast tomorrow, I ate a little bit of cheese. Not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment