Monday, January 9, 2012

Weeknight Kitchen: Ancho Glazed Cornish Hens with Roasted Winter Vegetables and Cornbread

I haven't done a Weeknight Kitchen post in awhile, but one of my New Year's goals is to try more new recipes, and the Weeknight Kitchen newsletter from Splendidtable.org is a great place to start.  I had never made Cornish hens before, but my husband really likes them, so I thought I would give them a try.  They were really fun, and felt more special than a baked chicken.  I might use this recipe again, and I think I did something wrong because the skin wasn't as crispy as I wanted it to be.  The roasted winter vegetable were amazing.  If you've never roasted brussel sprouts, you should try it.  I've been roasting them for awhile, and my husband, who used to hate brussel sprouts now requests them often.  The addition in this recipe of grapes and carrots was really good.  I will add some balsamic vinegar next time because I thought it needed a little more acidity.  Below are the pictures of the meal.  I used the leftover hens for Cornish hen salad.

Vegetable before going into the oven
After roasting
Hens ready for the oven.  
The finished plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment