Saturday, January 21, 2012

Las Vegas Part II: Mandalay Bay

For our first day in Las Vegas, we decided we would just stay in Mandalay Bay.  There is so much to do and see, and we had no problem finding something that would keep us occupied for the day.  We decided to have breakfast at Bayside Buffet.  It was incredible, and one of my regrets is that we never made it to the supper buffet.  For a person who has always lived in small towns with small buffets, this was a little overwhelming.  Add to all the choices that breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, and it was a little difficult to know what to take.  First thing I noticed were carafes of coffee already on the table, which I thought was a nice touch.  I decided to walk around and look at everything before I got a plate.  It was magical.  There was a dessert station with pastries, mini pies and cheesecakes, muffins, and donuts. The next stations held just about any typical breakfast food imaginable: fresh fruit, bacon, sausage, waffles, pancakes, french toast, warm pecan syrup, breakfast tacos, steel-cut oats, regular oats with all the toppings available, bagels, smoked salmon with capers, smoked trout, cream cheese, eggs benedict,  an omelet station.  They even had a few breakfast pizzas, panko crusted salmon, and a carving station with turkey and ham.  I absolutely love smoked salmon, and it's not something you can get very often in small town in the Midwest, so I ate a lot of it here.  I miss the land of smoked salmon.

We also had breakfast on our last day at Raffles Cafe.  It's a 24 hour restaurant in the hotel.  I had the Norwegian Benedict which had (surprise) smoked salmon, potato pancakes, capers, poached eggs, and was covered in hollandaise.  Jason had the huevos rancheros, which was also very delicious.  I'm so glad we came here.  The portions were very generous, the restaurant was nicely decorated, and the service was great.  Once again, when you ordered coffee they put a carafe on the table.

On our first night we ate at Hussong's Cantina.  It was a Mexican sport's bar.  The food we had was great, but it wasn't extremely memorable.  It was a fun atmosphere, but I would stop at Burger Bar (I wrote about this in the previous post) if I wanted something reasonably quick in a bar atmosphere.

Below are pictures from the buffet.  For my last Vegas post I will discuss an excellent place off the strip.
Jason's first plate: French toast, bacon, and cheese blintzes with strawberry sauce.

 My first plate: sausage, eggs benedict (not too bad for being on a buffet), panko crusted salmon, breakfast egg roll, smoked salmon, capers, red onions, cream cheese.
 Jason's second plate: breakfast taco, lox pizza (so good!), beef with mushrooms
 My second plate: bean salad, olives, smoked trout, smoked salmon, panko salmon, capers, red onions.  
 Chocolate pastry and if you look on the plate you'll see a mini coconut cream pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment