Thursday, December 8, 2011

Steel Cut Oats and Sauteed Apples


It's very late, and I have just completed a little over 5000 words on a 15th century manuscript, but I'm highly caffeinated, so I thought I would complete a post about breakfast to try and wind down instead of lying awake in bed.

I love breakfast, and as I've posted before I loved savory breakfast, but I also love sweet oatmeal.  For me, steel-cut oats have a better texture than rolled oats.  They take a little longer to cook, but it's mostly inactive time, so you can get ready for work or school while your oats are cooking.  Do not try to make overnight oats using steel-cut oats.  I found out the hard way that you need rolled oats for that.
The oats pictured above are topped with a sauteed apple.  I diced an apple and sauteed it in some coconut oil (I use butter too) while the oats were cooking.  I like the texture of the skin, but you can peel the apple if this bothers you.  When the apple was almost done cooking I sprinkled it with some cinnamon and brown sugar.  Then I pour it on top of my oats and try to get a piece of apple in every bite.  I'm out of apples, and because I don't buy apples out of season (they don't taste good to me), but I will try this same technique with pears.  Maybe I'll do this tomorrow since my paper is done and I'll have time for something other than leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment