Saturday, December 10, 2011

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds


This year instead of buying canned pumpkin I bought fresh pumpkins, roasted them, pureed the flesh, and froze it for cupcakes, breads, and whatever else I needed pumpkin for.  It was very easy, and I will do this again next year.  The added bonus of roasting pumpkins are pumpkin seeds.

Pumpkin seeds are a little bit of a pain because you have to get all the stringy, goopy stuff off the seeds, but it's completely worth the effort.  Once the seeds were cleaned I put them on paper towels to dry.  Next I tossed the seeds in a bowl with a little oil to coat them and I added salt, pepper, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes.  You could use any seasoning you wanted, I'd like to try ranch or Italian seasoning sometime.  After the seeds were coated I spread them on a cookie sheet and roasted them at 350 F. for 1 hour, stirring the seeds every 15 minutes.  I seeds ended up crispy, and I think they taste a lot of popcorn, but that could just be because I season my popcorn exactly the same way.  Now I just have to get my hands on some more pumpkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment