Friday, December 2, 2011

Cinnamon Rolls: Well, Actually More of a Nut Roll


I really like savory breakfasts like omelets, bacon, sausage, eggs Benedict.  My husband likes the sweet stuff. I had my parents and his parents over for a few days for Thanksgiving, and I decided to make cinnamon rolls, which I had never attempted before.  I knew this would satisfy the sweet breakfast people.  I also made a fritatta with potatoes, eggs, sausage, peppers, onions, and cheese for us savory folk.

I found the cinnamon roll recipe in the December issue of Food and Wine magazine.  I knew they would take awhile to make, but they called for a lot of freezing and resting in the refrigerator, so I knew I could make them ahead and then bake them on Thanksgiving morning.  They tasted good, but they were really more of a nut roll.  I'm now on a quest for big fluffy cinnamon rolls like I had as a child.  I'll keep working, and I know my family will be happy to eat all the experiments.  The recipe I made 24 cinnamon rolls, and between 6 people and 2 breakfasts there were only 5 rolls left.  I guess everyone liked them.   Let me tell you one thing though, when you run out of cinnamon you cannot grate a cinnamon stick fine enough in a food processor to make up the extra.  The food processor did smell amazing though.

No comments:

Post a Comment