Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Homemade Ricotta and Stuffed Shells

I made cheese.  That's right, homemade cheese, and it was really easy. I never even considered making cheese, but after reading about it I wanted to try it out.   I followed the instructions here.  I will never buy ricotta again.  The product I got was unbelievably creamy and wonderful.  Since I had ricotta, I needed something to do with it besides eating it straight from the bowl (which I certaintly could have done), so I decided to make stuffed shells after reading this recipe.  Warning about the recipe!  If you do not like spicy foods either omit or reduce the amount of red pepper flakes.  I thought the amount of spice was great, but it was almost too spicy for my husband.  I also didn't have any lemon, so I left it out, and I substituted basil for the chives because I didn't have that either.  The stuffed shells were a great dinner, and I'm sure they would be great even if you don't make your own ricotta, but really you should.  

The shells right out of the oven.

Close up of a shell.  Look at that ricotta!

No comments:

Post a Comment