Monday, May 5, 2014

Meatless May Day 4: Cornmeal Crusted Tofu Po Boy (Triangle food is more fun)


Why does eating triangles make me so happy?  Think about it.  Sandwiches cut diagonally are better than sandwiches cut horizontally.  Pizza is usually cut into a triangle, and then there's pie.  Tofu is another food made better by cutting it into a triangle, especially when it's fried.  The narrow pieces at the end get crispy while the wider parts at the top stay a little softer.  It's two wonderful textures for the price of one.  These cornmeal crusted tofu triangles were no exception to the tasty triangle rule.

If you don't know about po boys, they are basically sub sandwiches.  The ones I've had include some kind of fried fish or seafood, lettuce, pickles, and tartar or cocktail sauce.  They are popular down south, and I believe they originated in Louisiana.  Jason had his first one a few years ago in Alabama and was instantly hooked.  I'm not surprised he choose this recipe.

 I took this recipe out of The Veganomicon, so I can't post it, but I can tell you it was delicious.  You basically dredge tofu triangles in a spiced cornmeal mixture and then fry it until it's crispy.  I've had fish sticks with a lot less flavor and crunch.  I added some Old Bay seasoning to my sandwich, which made my brain think I was eating fish.  We had this with coleslaw and green beans.  Jason claimed the coleslaw was just "okay," but I came home tonight and found out he had eaten almost all the leftovers (about 3 cups worth), so I'll try to get a recipe together for that and post it soon.  


No comments:

Post a Comment