Thursday, October 27, 2011

What to do with Leftovers: Meatloaf

I recently heard that MidWesterners had a stereotype.  I was not aware of this, but I do embody it.  The stereotype is that we're very nice, and we make casseroles.  Yep, I do that.  While meatloaf isn't really a casserole, I think it fits into the MidWestern stereotype, and I'm happy to embrace it.  I know some people have horror stories about dry, terrible meatloaf, but I've never had that problem.  In fact, meatloaf is one of my dad's favorite foods, and a few years ago my mom made it for Thanksgiving instead of a turkey.  One key to a moist meatloaf is to put some water in the bottom of the baking dish, about an inch, and cover the meatloaf for the first 45 minutes of cooking.  It will steam the meat and keep everything moist.  I made meatloaf recently, and I always make mashed potatoes and use the pan drippings for gravy.  I had leftovers that I wanted to doctor up a bit, so I thought I'd make Manhattans (my husband calls them this) or hot meatloaf sandwiches (my term).  Basically I just layered everything up.  I put bread on the bottom, topped with meatloaf, then potatoes, and then gravy.  Heat everything up separately and then assemble for best results.   If you need a recipe for meatloaf then scroll down past the picture, and you will see what I do.


Meatloaf



2 lbs. hamburger
4 slices of sandwich bread torn up
1 T. salt
1small onion chopped
2 eggs
1/2 cup tomato juice
catsup for the top

Mix all ingredients together except catsup.  I think mixing by hand works the best.  Shape into a loaf and place in baking pan. Top with catsup to taste.  Add about an inch of water to the bottom of the pan and cover.  Bake at 400 F. for 45 minutes.  Remove lid and bake for an additional 15 minutes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment