Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Corned Beef Hash and Eggs


I love corned beef.  Every year on St. Patrick's day I make corned beef, cabbage, and parsley buttered red potatoes.  I also buy a second corned beef to freeze and eat later in the year.  A few weeks ago I decided it was time to pull the corned beef out of the freezer.  I cooked it in the crock pot, and ate it with a lot of cabbage.  The problem was that I had a lot left over.  My solution: corned beef hash.  Corned beef hash is something that I've always enjoyed.  I used to buy cans of it, you know the stuff that kind of looks like dog food.  I'd plop the hash out of the can and fry it until it was crispy.  I bought the canned stuff recently, and it just tasted greasy.  Homemade has is much better.

Here's what I did:

I had some leftover baked potatoes in the fridge that I peeled and tossed in a preheated cast iron pan with a little oil. Be sure to season with salt and pepper.  If you don't have pre-cooked potatoes then steam or microwave your potatoes before putting them in the pan.  I cooked the potatoes on medium-low for about 10 minutes.  The potatoes were starting to brown and get crispy.  Next I added half a chopped onion, and cooked this for another 5 minutes.  Last, I added the diced hash and cooked until the potatoes were really crisp and the hash was warm.  I served the hash with over-easy eggs on top.  This is a really easy breakfast using leftover and so much better than the canned stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment