Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Clean out the Fridge Breakfast

Once again, I find myself in the position of apologizing for a lack of posts.  Grad school just started, and I'm trying to juggle my work and school schedule while still putting meals on the table.  I haven't been too creative lately, but when I am I will document it.  I have an experiment in the crock pot right now, and if it turns out well, I will let you know.  In the meantime, stay with me and know that I will keep posting.

Friday morning I decided I needed to clean out some items from the refrigerator which was already looking bare.  We were going out of town for the weekend, and I didn't want to leave some things sitting around to get old.  Plus, we needed breakfast.  I thinly sliced 2 red potatoes and put them into the steamer.  While they were steaming I preheated the oven to 350 f. and put my cast iron pan in the oven to get hot.  Next, I beat 6 eggs, and about 3 tablespoons of heavy cream together.  I added a quarter of a minced red onion, 2 cloves of minced garlic, 1/2 cup of grated sharp cheddar, and mixed it with the eggs.  After the potatoes were soft, I took the cast iron skillet out of the oven and lined it with the potatoes.  I laid my pot holder over the cast iron handle so I didn't burn myself.  I have a bad habit of grabbing hot pan handles.  Next, I poured the egg mixture over the potatoes and then I added crumbled goat cheese to the top.  The eggs were cooked for about 40 minutes.  Breakfast was delicious, and I was able to tidy up and pack while the eggs were cooking in the oven.  I need to make this more when I have company.


No comments:

Post a Comment