Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Tuna Noodle Casserole

Wow, once again it's been over a week since my last post.  I've had a lot of company lately, and I am currently nursing a bad case of strep throat, so meals have been old stand-bys for company, and whatever my husband can make me while I'm sick.  I do have some things I've been meaning to post though, so while I'm sitting at home I thought I'd do just that.

Tuna Noodle Casserole is something I had never really eaten until I was in my twenties.  My mom just doesn't really care for fish, so we never ate it.  I love it, but I never make it.  A few weeks ago it sounded really good, and after looking at a few recipes, I decided I could come up with my own version.  It turned out great, and I think it would freeze nicely.  The leftovers reheated really well, and I think it was almost better the second and third day.

Tuna Noodle Casserole

  • 1 cup minced onion
  • 1 small hot pepper (jalepeno, serano, etc.) or 1/4 cup bell pepper minced
  •  1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 2 cups milk
  • 15 oz (3 small cans) Albacore tuna
  • 1 lb. frozen green peas
  • 8 oz. cooked egg noodles
  • 1 cup bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Add olive oil to skillet or dutch oven and heat.  Saute onion and pepper until onion is soft.  

2. Add cream soup, milk, tuna, and peas to softened onions and peppers.  Stir together and simmer until peas are cooked.

3. Add cooked noodles to tuna, cream soup and peas and mix well.

4. If not already using an oven safe dutch oven, transfer mixture to oven safe baking dish.

5. Top with bread crumbs and Parmesan Cheese

6. Bake at 400 F. for 15 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment