Saturday, July 12, 2014

Peaches, Pesto, Mozzarella: What I've learned


I learned a few things while making the salad you see above.  First, pesto makes an excellent salad dressing.  Two, I'm getting so skilled at using my $30 thrift store Le Crueset grill pan.  I mean really, look at those grill marks!  And finally, peaches, pesto, and mozzarella cheese go perfectly together on a salad.

The pesto recipe I used called for pine nuts, but I didn't want to take out a loan just to buy nuts, so I subbed in pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds) instead.  I've been using them in place of pine nuts a lot lately, and they haven't let me down yet, so give them a try.  I also can't get arugula where I live or that would have went on this salad instead of spinach.  

This salad was served with barramundi, which is a fish that I had not tried until last December.  It's a flaky white fish, but does not have the typical white fish flavor. From what I've read, it can be farmed in a sustainable manner, so it's not a bad choice of fish, and it's my new favorite.  We stock up on it the few times a year when we can get to a Trader Joes.   If you can get the skin crispy, do it.  I think I could eat a bag of crispy barramundi skins.  I previously mentioned arugula, which I also had not tried until this year.

The only thing that makes me upset about any of this is that I've lived 32 years of my life when I could have been eating barramundi, arugula, and grilled peaches and pesto.  I need to make up for lost time.


No comments:

Post a Comment