Tuesday, August 14, 2012

I'm still here and I made burritos!

The other day I realized that I hadn't posted a blog since, well since the beginning of summer.  While I am always a little annoyed to read bloggers say how busy they were, I can honestly say that I had the time to blog, but it skipped my mind.  I have been cooking and taking pictures, and most importantly eating, but I forgot to blog.  I'm back now, and I will not leave you for such a long time again.  Now onto the food.

I love breakfast, but I also love sleeping, and will literally hit the snooze button on my phone for over an hour if I can get away with it.  Because school is starting soon and my assistance-ship, I may have to  get myself out of bed before 10:00 am, and actually put on real clothes before 4:00 pm.  This kind of practical nonsense is going to dramatically cut into the amount of time I have to make myself elaborate breakfasts every morning.  My choices are to either grab cereal bars or brownies on the way out the door (What?  Brownies contain eggs, which is a breakfast food.), get fast food (too expensive) or to figure out a way to get a hearty breakfast quickly.  I could buy pre-made frozen items, but I think making them myself is a better way to go.  

These breakfast burritos were easily put together, and if wrapped in foil could probably be eaten in the car, or bus for school kids, without too much trouble.  For fillings I choose eggs with hot sauce, sausage, potatoes and onions, and cheese.  For 9 burritos I used 1 dozen eggs, a pound of sausage, half an onion, and one large russet potato.  You could put in any filling you like, but personally I would avoid salsa, sour cream, and guacamole because these do not heat well, in my opinion, and are better left on the side.  These could be made vegan with scrambled tofu, vegan cheeses and veggies.

First, I cooked all my fillings and placed them in bowls on my kitchen table where I made a burrito assembly line.

Sausage
Potatoes and onions
 Scrambled Eggs
 The assembly line ready to go.  If only I was as organized in everything else. 
 I started with the eggs.  Be sure not to over fill the burritos or they won't fold.
 Then the sauage
 Now the potatoes and onions
 Finally the cheese
 Then I rolled the burritos and placed them on parchment lined baking sheets.

The burritos were then placed in the freezer until frozen solid, and then I put them in a freezer bag and put back in the freezer until they will be used.  These can be microwaved from frozen.  I would try anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes depending on your microwave.  I will probably bake mine for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F.  I'll pop one in the oven while I'm getting dressed, and it will be ready to go as I rush out the door.  This will allow me to hit snooze just a few more times.

No comments:

Post a Comment